The popular rapper, who also acts in e.tv’s telenovela Gold Diggers, landed in hot water for what insiders said was self-promotion.
Zuluboy, 40, was accused of favouring his music at the expense of other artists on his two shows Namba Namba and Chillas that he hosts on Friday and Saturday respectively.
The musician, whose real name is Mxolisi Majozi, was hired last October with the aim of growing the listenership of the two shows. He was expected to make them more popular by using his mass appeal.
Zuluboy’s departure comes hot on the heels of his suspension early this year, allegedly for playing his own songs during the shows. When he returned, he allegedly continued to play his music.
Ukhozi FM was made aware by listeners and artists who complained that Zuluboy was focusing on himself and his friends.
SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago confirmed that Zuluboy had been shown the door and said: “Ukhozi FM decided to terminate his contract with immediate effect following a disagreement between the two parties. The station felt that there was no way forward and it was best to let him go. Unfortunately, I cannot reveal the circumstances that led to his departure because it is an employer-employee issue.”
Kganyago said Zuluboy was not fired because he was a freelancer. He refused to be drawn into the allegations that Zuluboy was playing his own music. Attempts to get Majozi to comment proved fruitless as his phones were off.
He was also the star of Inters3xions on SABC1 and hosted Fan Base on the same channel.