The SABC has decided to start the The Akhumzi Jezile Director Internship at the same time the public broadcaster got pummeled by the public over its failure to broadcast the actor’s memorial service.

On Thursday the SABC announced the new internship to honour the actor/producer who died last week, at the memorial service, ironically at the same that the struggling South African public broadcaster got castigated by the public for its failure to broadcast his memorial service on any of its public TV channels.

Milly Summergill, editorial editor for prime time entertainment at the SABC, announced at the podium at Akhumzi Jezile’s memorial service that the Akhumzi Jezile Director Internship will be started to help producers and director “learn to empower themselves”.

“Working with him all those years and watching him grow up in front of our eyes, he was a ball of energy. The SABC believed in Akhumzi. I believed in him,” said Milly Summergill.

Adelaide Joshua-Hill, the head of content and platform at Urban Brew Studios said Akhumzi “made everybody feel special”.

Clara Nzima, SABC1 channel head, in a somewhat rambling speech, said Akhumzi Jezile and the YO.TV youth slot presenters “were not celebrities, they were my children”.

Ironically the SABC and Clara Nzima failed on Thursday to broadcast the memorial service of “her child, something that got viewers fuming who started to slate the public broadcaster under “SABC is trash” on social media.

While both eNCA (DStv 403) and Afro Worldview (DStv 405) showed large parts of the memorial service, the SABC News channel and the SABC’s three terrestrial TV channels did nothing. The SABC didn’t explain why it didn’t televise the memorial service of one of its own on-air stars who was known to millions of viewers for many years.

SEE TWEETS BELOW:

 

Channel 24

!

Loading...